Saturday, January 18, 2014

Wheel Caps

Svettlana came with some some none-original wheel caps, they're chrome emblazoned with a large W and "Western". The wheels aren't chrome so the caps didn't match, not to mention they're generic so the fit isn't perfect.
With my second visit to Tim Nines at the junkyard I picked up some original plain alloy caps that go with the rims. They're from a junkyard car so they were really rough, dirty, oxidized, and 2 were pretty badly dented.
So they were wire wheeled, and I hit them with staggered decreasing grits of sandpaper to get a finish similar to the sandblasted rims. The two dented hubs I heated up with a torch and tapped out the dents from the back until I was content with their surface. Once they were done I clear coated them to prevent further oxidation.





2 comments:

  1. Do you have contact info for Tim Nines?

    email me if you do tomelhardt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emailed it to you Tom. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete