Thursday, May 15, 2014

Speakers, Carpet, and Seatbelts

Like any 20 year old my car has to have a bangin' stereo right? Well sorta, dingus cut some half ass holes that either were going to have speakers in them or had speakers and he didn't want to sell em with the car. So I measured them and bought some speakers to fit in the holes, I went for cheap with good materials no paper. I ran all the wires for them, soldered the DIN1 connector through the appropriate hole in the dash. Slotted in the speakers and screwed em in.

Still have some hanging wires at this point but they didn't stay that way for long. You can see I did make a surround for the speaker out of scrap galvanized steel so it actually fit in the hole right.


After all this work the stereo fired right to life and pumped for a while. I left it for the week to go to school and when I came back the next weekend and turned on the car *POOF* big puff of electrical smoke from the radio and it wouldn't turn on. The radio I got was in some way defective because the 10 amp fuse in the back of it should have blown before the radio went. Glad I bought a warranty with it.

With the speakers in I could start working on the carpet. I cut based on the old carpets, trace old onto new with chalk, cut about an inch outside that chalk and test fit, adjust, repeat until it fits.


It's not a fast process but if you're careful you get a good fit and it looks good, something you can save a lot of time and money doing yourself. To stick it on I just used carpet contact cement. I bought a gallon but only used about 3 quarts, and that's really applying it heavy (which is recommended). Just be careful that the cement only gets where you want carpet cause it's a bitch to get off (which is kinda the point isn't it?).



Seats in to see how they look. Looking good. It kind of looks like car! If you squint



No comments:

Post a Comment