Monday, June 17, 2013

A SAAB Story

So I'm starting this blog (stupidly) about a month or so into this restoration so I'll provide you with some back-story:

March 17 2013 I bought a 1971 SAAB Sonett III off of craigslist here in North Carolina, the car didn't "run" but when I went to check it out we got the engine to turn over and run for a few seconds with starting fluid, so I knew the engine wasn't frozen.






The (important parts of the) interior was all there, but pretty rough, no headliner and the dash is peeling. The guy had tons of little bits and pieces boxed up, plenty of documentation -both receipts and restoration guides- and said all that was wrong mechanically was the water-pump.



Supposedly the car had been partially restored in 1997 when the previous owner had lost interest in the project. I bought the car and pulled it home on my buddies trailer. Since it was March I was still had class and with exams right around the corner the car got kind of pushed off in the priorities list.


Fast forward to May and I've finished all my exams and finally have time for working on Svettlana. Yes she has a name, no I did not name her. My girlfriend thought it pertinent to name the car after what sounds like a Swedish prostitute, and has lead to a general agreement that the car is a bit of a whore, i.e. "Here, you come at it from behind and Ill get the front" "GET IN THERE!" "Goddammit pull that out of there!" "Oh god what the HELL is THAT?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment