Tuesday, July 8, 2014

New Trunk Pan

I finally caved bought the $300 weld-in kit from Ashcraft, After calling every metal shop within 100 miles and nobody said they could/would do it. I just don't think they thought a 20 year old college student was serious about fabricating a trunk pan for some weird Swedish car more than twice his own age. Well I was serious and you lost some pretty easy business, it's just putting corrugated bends in 1/8" thick steel with a metal brake!

Ashcraft's kit does require a little bit of customization to get it to fit perfectly, IE putting the ridges in the L-brackets that support the pan. I also found that my side L pieces and the pan itself were about 1 1/4" too long. I cut the excess off and they snugged right in.


This is literally the second or third time I've ever MIG welded in my entire life. Not bad if  I do say so myself.

All the L's beating roughly into shap and welded in. This was dirty, hot, exhausting work and my forearm was sore for days from all the hammering.

Pan is welded in all along the top. Was in the process of doing all the seams underneath to add even more support and reduce places for water to seep in when I ran out of wire. Once I get more I'll finish up these under seams, grind the bead off my weld, prime, paint and the trunk is done.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you got a good fit on the install Colin. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any ancestors in North Carolina (USA)? I'm looking for descendants of William John Smith, Christian Clyde Smith Spivey.

    archielynn@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete