Monday, July 1, 2013

Brake Refurbishing


So with the Sonett capable of moving under it's own power an important part now is making sure it can also stop. I live on a gigantic hill, about a 45 degree angle, steeper in places, so a good set of brakes is pretty important.

So first was the front disc brakes, I had to check if the pads were still good as well as clean off the massive amount of rust and repaint them.



The caliper was absolutely disgusting, covered in spiderwebs, dirt, grime, rust, and dust. So I blew the whole thing out with the air-compressor, and cleaned it off a little bit with some brake cleaner. The bolt you see there is occupying the hole for the brake line, just to make sure no rust/dust/dirt/etc got in there.



Once the caliper was off it was easy enough to remove the pads and check them. They look pretty near brand new, makes me think the guy before me replaced them and then never drove the car. They got sprayed and wiped over with brake cleaner, a little bit of sandpaper on the surface to add a tiny bit of grip.

Next the whole caliper and all it's loose parts got gone over with the wire brush, it didn't even look like the same piece of metal after I was done with it.





Once the caliper was wire-brushed back to metal I wiped off the rust/dust and air-blasted it with the compressor. Then I sprayed it with Krylon anti-rust, high temperature resistant black paint, I thought about painting them red or some other performance caliper color but I had black and I'm not that flashy.




Once everything was painted and dried I reassembled the caliper, slide in the pads and it was ready to bolt back onto the rotor.


I reattached the brake line (after cleaning it of course) and bolted back on the caliper. I cleaned the rotor and everything else I could reach with brake cleaner. Repainted the suspension spring, tie-rod, and  A frame after wire brushing off the rust. Cleaned off the frame around there with water and had one good looking wheel arch area.

Before:

After:

No comments:

Post a Comment