Monday, July 15, 2013

Frame Rust

The floor pans of the Sonett were covered with knock-off Dynamat, I could see in the cracks in the previous owners half-assed insulation/rust prevention attempt and in those cracks was rust. So with a flat head screwdriver and a paint scraper I scraped out all the old Dynamat, popped out the drain plugs in the pan and vacuumed up all the stuff that was stuck under the matting.

As you can see the floor pan was absolutely covered in surface rust, thankfully a good solid tap showed me that the pan was still solid. So I set out to remove as much rust as I could, combination of a wire-wheel, hand sander, and belt sander; both with about 200 grit sandpaper. Then I vacuumed up the rust and dirt that came up, wiped down the area and resprayed it with my probably 250th bottle of Krylon black anti-rust enamel. Now I can sit on the floor pan and not feel like I immediately need a shower, plus it should stop the rust from getting any worse and keep the floor solid.

Before:




After some preliminary wire-brushing, sanding:

After a little more thorough treatment:

After Paint:

No comments:

Post a Comment