Monday, July 15, 2013

Trunk Pan

I pulled up the fake Dynamat in the trunk pan to discover (I wasn't really surprised) a large amount of rust on the pan in the trunk, mostly under where the battery obviously had sat. As usual the previous restorer had done a top notch job and not only made the battery's spot the only place with Dynamat he had also obviously not had a battery box and fumes and probably some acid leakage had eaten into the metal.

So I went to scrape the large amounts of rust with the paint scraper when I got to that section under the battery I came into a much more serious problem than surface rust. In several place throughout a 5 ' wide by 1' long section of pan the rust had eaten all the way through, where it hadn't eaten clean through it had thinned to the metal to nearly paper thin. I think right now my plan of action is to cut out this section, fabricate a new one, and weld it in.

Looks just dirty with Dynamatting...

That's not dirt. Well some of it is

Holey-pain-in-my-ass Batman!

No comments:

Post a Comment